Established in 1984, the REAL School supports many districts in Southern Maine. The school can successfully meet the needs of students grades 7 to 12.
The objectives of our program include:
- the creation of a positive learning environment in which all students can explore their educational potential and their possibilities for the future.
- the establishment of safe and open relationships that enable students to work successfully together to achieve a sense of accomplishment and self expression.
- the creation of pathways for academic improvements and success that consider the individual learning needs of each student.
- the development of patterns of behavior in school, work and social settings that produce positive and enduring relationships and result in the fulfillment of personal and community goals.
- successful return to community, schools or further programs through transition programs that incorporate the full range of options available.
The staff are a group of highly motivated and qualified individuals who have extensive experience in the field of alternative education. They include special education teachers, alternative/regular education teachers, education technicians, a licensed counselor, administrative support and transportation support staff. They are certified and/or have extensive training in areas intended to meet the needs of the students referred to the REAL School. These areas include:
The REAL School works from a framework based, in part, on principles of solution focused intervention, experiential education and multiple intelligence/individual learning styles. Through this framework we recognize the individual needs of the students while making every effort to shape and encourage responsible behavior and the active pursuit of their goals.
A maximum of 32 full-time student openings are available
"You live and learn. At the REAL School you live and learn the right way." (Past student)
"I enjoyed receiving my education at REAL and I wouldn't want anything else for my own child". (Past student)
"The school is a good chance for those [kids] that need help to get it". (Past student)
"Everybody learns in different ways. I used to learn the hard way." (REAL School student)
"Without the REAL School he never would have graduated. God only knows where he would be now." (Parent)
"You saved my son. There is no way he'd be in school right now without the REAL School." (Parent)
For further information please contactPender Makin